Tuesday, October 30, 2018

19: Idea Napkin #2

Me: I am a management major and an IA student. I have past experience of creating things; taking my ideas from sketches to physical products. I do have past experiences with coding, although minor, I could pick it back up plus more sophisticated additions. I love having a clean and organized planner and find I am more productive and active if I log everything, but have little time to do so. 

My Offer: A calendar app that automatically syncs a students schedule, along with assignment due dates, club meeting times and locations, sports events, and more depending on what works for them and what they want to participate in. 

Who: Busy university students that have multiple calendars and not enough time to plan. Perfect for those in multiple clubs, works or volunteers, and is full time students.

Why do They Care:  Having several calendars that only serve one purpose is frustrating and inefficient. The top used online calendars like Google Calendar and Outlook cannot sync calendars from Canvas, MyLab, and other regularly used education applications because of accounts and passwords. Universities always want to reach greater standards from their students, and can only be done if the students themselves participate and achieve higher grades. Keeping an organized space and plan can help improve student involvement and grades, at no cost and no extra effort for the students. 

What are Your Core Competencies: I am an extreme organizer, I cannot work unless my space and mind is stress free. I found myself having a major problem with Canvas, as my assignments from MyLab don't show up on the Canvas calendar, leading me to miss a few assignments. I had to look for alternative ways to organize but found none that worked for me and my lifestyle. I have website building experience and a good sense of organizing and design, making it easy for me to actually create this product. 

Evaluation:
I think these parts fit well together. I know my abilities and know now that there is a market out there that could benefit from having a zero effort all in one calendar for their busy lives. This was one of my bugs from my list and I still have a bit of stress trying to remember due dates for things on MyLab. The more I work out the idea the more I see possibility as well as roadblocks, but there is time to learn and grow my "ugly baby".

Feedback:
I didn't get much feedback from my first post, so I kept it generally the same. One things I completely changed was why do they care bullet. My first idea napkin I only explained how hard it is to have multiple single use calendars, but forgot to mention how the leading competitors in online calendars cannot sync dates from Canvas and many other education websites. I also changed my evaluation, as my ideas and information has changed and improved, and feels more put together than before.



2 comments:

  1. I think it's important to be able to provide feedback on your own work after obtaining more information. You did a great job doing that on this assignment. My mind has been a blur lately but I think this is the first time I remember reading that you have a background in coding. That would be an asset if you were to create this business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job on this assignment. I think you really dedicated your time to this post. I think its awesome that you are an IT student, I was going for that career. Coding is the future for competitive advantages to businesses. I think your combination of skills would be great for this business.

    ReplyDelete